Understand Your Land Through Topographic Surveys for Springfield IL
For contractors and engineers, understanding land layout is crucial to landscape design, site planning, land development, and construction overall. And while traditional boundary surveys or ALTA surveys cover much of what’s necessary to start construction, topographic surveys are just as helpful. Topographic surveys in Springfield IL allow landowners to grasp their property’s elevations and natural features fully. Call Austin Engineering to assist with a topographic survey of your own.
How a Topographic Survey is Used
Developing a topographic map of your property provides a wealth of information. Ultimately, your topographic survey will determine how best to use your property and how it can be adjusted for future construction. These are some of the important factors a topographic survey will address:
- Elevation Adjustments
- Your topographic map will look at the various elevations across your land. Ideally, large areas of flat land are best for construction. However, if the land must be leveled to allow for straightforward construction, your topographic survey will help you make this decision.
- Environmental Protections
- Contractors must consider environmental protections when building on your land. By completing a topographic survey, you can determine your property’s natural landscape features. Steps you can take to construct around specific environment restrictions are easier to make with a topographic map for reference.
- Acquiring Permits
- For some construction projects, depending on local government requirements, a topographic survey might be required to acquire permits. Other survey types often cover most permit requirements, and topographic surveys are sometimes part of that permit process.
- Stormwater Management
- Knowing how elevation works for your land helps civil engineers develop proper planning for stormwater management. Runoff is natural for any property, but managing that runoff is crucial to protecting your future structure. A topographic survey helps guide engineers when planning for grading, drainage pipes, and other stormwater management systems.
Additional Survey Options
As mentioned previously, topographic surveys for Springfield IL aren’t the only surveys necessary for project completion. Austin Engineering’s team of survey experts can provide quick and accurate survey services, giving you the information you need to design landscapes and approve permits. Examples of some of our additional survey services include:
- Lot Surveys
- GPS Surveys
- ALTA/NSPS Surveys
- Subdivision Surveys
- Aerial Control Surveys
- Elevation Certificates
- LOMA & Related FEMA Reports
Talk with Our Team
To ensure your next construction project goes off without a hitch, do all the research you can with topographic surveys in Springfield IL. Contact Austin Engineering at 217-516-3452 to discuss other survey options or our additional civil engineering and landscape architecture services. Also, our Illinois office is located at 311 SW Water St, Ste 215, Peoria, IL 61602.